Friday, March 27, 2015

Serial Working on paper

For this project we were made to pick an artist from one of three books and attempt to mimic their style while still maintaining our own identity within the picture. The artist I chose was Zak Smith. His punk style and messy yet controlled way of adding color intrigued me. However, When I attempted to draw in his way on a large scale paper it did not turn out well. Because though he is space and detail oriented, he works small. So I changed my initial idea to his 5 1/2" x 4 1/2" pictures titled One Illustration for Every Page of Gravity's Rainbow. The quick sketchy style of his works was somewhat of a challenge for me who is so precises and small detail driven. However by the end of the project I loosened up and got the feel for how to achieve his way of drawing. It became relaxing at that point and I have found that it is rather enjoyable to just set a pen to paper without any presketching or set plan and just see what the imagination takes me.
Here are my sketches:








No comments:

Post a Comment